This quilt was made for a special young man, and was made from my heart, especially for, and with him in mind. Rather than an artist 'patchwork' creation, it's meant to be a story book (of sorts) with pictures to look at.
It was my first twin sized quilt, so a lot easier to manage than the
double or queen, yet big enough to be a challenge.
Here I had the opportunity to really practice stippling.
(I can understand why they say practice, practice, practice)
Then I got serious??
This one started out to be a double quilt until I got the border on, (I need to get the measurements & sizes figured out), AND quilted it and then ...... the size was gigantic!! So I did an unmentionable; I resized it ~ best not to ask how I did that.
started June 2009 - completed September 2009the backing fabric is a leaves & acorns print,I'm happy with the binding, which I did completely with the sewing machine.Again, my quilting is still rather amateurish
which I thought was a perfect addition...
considering who this quilt was being made for.
......hm.... I'm wondering how many quilts it will take
before I get it looking better??
...all in good time...
I discovered the world of blog; heard about sandwiches and stipplings. Curiosity made me take a day course to learn how to put together a sandwich and how to stipple.
In the meantime I bought a new sewing machine a Juki TL-98Q. I love this machine. It goes fast!!! I had to learn how to sew all over again.
So to put learning into practice, using the sandwich technique:
I made another baby quilt, in an Elmo theme. The top is fence rails pattern, Warm & Natural Cotton Batting, and the backing with a bit of Elmo piecing. The stippling...well it needs more practice too!! AND my first ever binding.... this is exciting!!
I decided to try making a label, using a fabric pen; I didn't like it at all. (note to self....must find a better label)
All in all.... for "another" first... it turned out okay.
started May 2009 - completed June 2009
Then 2009 arrived, and I decided to get serious, so I tackled a Queen Sized bedspread.
I really like the 'scrappy' look of patchworks, so made a scrappy trip around the world.
By this time I had discovered the Land-of-Blogs and learned about the "sandwich" and of the quilting techniques. Once the top was done, I toyed with making the sandwich....... several headaches later, I opted for going back to the pillowcase style.
A front, a back, no filling.
The quilting is vary amateurish(and not so straight with the lines), but considering the little Kenmore sewing machine I had to work with, I was happy with how it turned out.
Blunders and all.... I am quite proud of this huge project.
started mid March 2009 - completed mid May 2009